braintree, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Film Reviews, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found

  1. Published on: 26/09/2021 07:18 PMReported by: editor
    Name:  gov-hgv.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  6.1 KB

    A letter has been sent from the government to all current and past HGV driver licence holders they have on file. Will this be the answer to the current HGV driver shortage?

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    HGV Driver Shortage – Employment Opportunities

    We are writing to you, and all HGV driving licence holders, about the national shortage of HGV drivers. As you are undoubtedly aware, this has been putting pressure on UK supply chains for some time. The Government and the logistics sectors are working on a range of solutions to ease the shortage.

    To those of you who are currently driving, we would like to thank you for the vital service you have provided during the COVID-19 response and the incredibly important role you continue to play in keeping goods moving around the country.

    If you are no longer working in this sector, we would like to take this opportunity to ask you to consider returning. Your valuable skills and experience have never been more needed than they are now.

    There are fantastic HGV driving opportunities in the logistics industry and conditions of employment and pay have been improving across the sector. As well as attractive pay rates, we are seeing more options for flexible working, fixed hours, fixed days, full-time and part-time.

    Many employers are offering training packages so even if your Driver CPC has lapsed, you can be supported in updating this through classroom or online courses. Furthermore, given the significant number of opportunities available, driving can become an entry point into a much wider pool of job roles.

    Businesses of all sizes, in many different sectors, including specialist operators, are looking for drivers.

    There has never been a better time to find the type of HGV driving job you want.
    If you would like to find out more, please visit:
    Logistics UK – https://logistics.org.uk/skills
    RHA – www.rha.uk.net/backtodriving

    We look forward to hearing from you.

    Baroness Vere of Norbiton
    Minister for roads, buses and places

    Source: gov.uk

    Useful links: Report Cyber Crime | Stop Nuisance Calls & Mail | Daily Covid Stats (updated 4pm) | Covid excess deaths in your area | Local NHS Resources | What 3 Words





  2. Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk      Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk

    Your Comments:


  3. justbecause says:26/09/2021 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by editor View Post
    Name:  gov-hgv.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  6.1 KB

    A letter has been sent from the government to all current and past HGV driver licence holders they have on file. Will this be the answer to the current HGV driver shortage?

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    HGV Driver Shortage – Employment Opportunities

    We are writing to you, and all HGV driving licence holders, about the national shortage of HGV drivers. As you are undoubtedly aware, this has been putting pressure on UK supply chains for some time. The Government and the logistics sectors are working on a range of solutions to ease the shortage.

    To those of you who are currently driving, we would like to thank you for the vital service you have provided during the COVID-19 response and the incredibly important role you continue to play in keeping goods moving around the country.

    If you are no longer working in this sector, we would like to take this opportunity to ask you to consider returning. Your valuable skills and experience have never been more needed than they are now.

    There are fantastic HGV driving opportunities in the logistics industry and conditions of employment and pay have been improving across the sector. As well as attractive pay rates, we are seeing more options for flexible working, fixed hours, fixed days, full-time and part-time.

    Many employers are offering training packages so even if your Driver CPC has lapsed, you can be supported in updating this through classroom or online courses. Furthermore, given the significant number of opportunities available, driving can become an entry point into a much wider pool of job roles.

    Businesses of all sizes, in many different sectors, including specialist operators, are looking for drivers.

    There has never been a better time to find the type of HGV driving job you want.
    If you would like to find out more, please visit:
    Logistics UK – https://logistics.org.uk/skills
    RHA – www.rha.uk.net/backtodriving

    We look forward to hearing from you.

    Baroness Vere of Norbiton
    Minister for roads, buses and places

    Source: gov.uk
    So the Government is finally thanking truck drivers for their efforts during the pandemic…..eighteen months too late, but better late than never I suppose.
    When my letter arrives, I will make good use of it, given that toilet rolls have been in short supply thanks to hoarders.

  4. Likes town36, gazaprop, Toodles McGinty liked this post
  5. The PNP says:26/09/2021 08:36 PM
    Shame the railways were decimated back in the '60's. Back then, it was possible to deliver a wide range of goods to virtually every town, where they could be brought to the door by local delivery vans.

    Thanks to the misguided efforts of Marples and Beeching etc, the country has become over-reliant on moving everything via congested motorways in diesel-hungry artics. Even the trucks that do still have drivers, may be forced to drop out of the picture because they can't find fuel!

  6. Likes Nash liked this post
  7. justbecause says:26/09/2021 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The PNP View Post
    Shame the railways were decimated back in the '60's. Back then, it was possible to deliver a wide range of goods to virtually every town, where they could be brought to the door by local delivery vans.

    Thanks to the misguided efforts of Marples and Beeching etc, the country has become over-reliant on moving everything via congested motorways in diesel-hungry artics. Even the trucks that do still have drivers, may be forced to drop out of the picture because they can't find fuel!

    Which government introduced the Beeching cuts?



    The general election in October 1964 returned a Labour government under Prime Minister Harold Wilson after 13 years of Conservative government. During the election campaign Labour had promised to halt rail closures if elected, but it quickly backtracked, and later oversaw some of the most controversial closures.



    Beeching cuts - Wikipedia









  8. Likes town36 liked this post
  9. The PNP says:26/09/2021 09:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justbecause View Post
    Which government introduced the Beeching cuts?
    The general election in October 1964 returned a Labour government under Prime Minister Harold Wilson after 13 years of Conservative government. During the election campaign Labour had promised to halt rail closures if elected, but it quickly backtracked, and later oversaw some of the most controversial closures.
    True enough, I remember that time well, as I lived through it all. They even tried to close the Southport-Wigan line! The Southport-Preston route should have been third-rail electrified instead of the closure, which would have lessened present day road congestion on that route.

    Another incredibly short-sighted closure in the area, was of the railway into Skem, which was in the process of becoming a sizeable 'new town'. Losing the two short Burscough curves, has long been regretted. Maintaining what is barely half a mile of track would have cost little, but had a large positive effect on train travel to/from Southport.

  10. Likes town36 liked this post
  11. Nash says:27/09/2021 03:49 PM
    Another lame letter from a lame government.

    Perhaps the Baroness could set an example?

  12. silver fox says:28/09/2021 07:16 PM
    Have the powers that be as much as looked at the reasons why HGV license holders aren't driving HGVs for a living? without sorting why so many have left, this is a waste of time and paper.

  13. justbecause says:28/09/2021 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by silver fox View Post
    Have the powers that be as much as looked at the reasons why HGV license holders aren't driving HGVs for a living? without sorting why so many have left, this is a waste of time and paper.
    It’s the first phase of introducing National Service for lorry drivers.

  14. Kafoozalum says:29/09/2021 06:52 AM
    I heard last night that, with their usual efficiency, they sent one to someone in their 90's!


Custom Search

Search Qlocal (powered by google)
You are in: UK / Braintree / East of England
Find any Town in the UK, or Use UK map
Local Google MAP for Braintree

User Control Panel

Not a Member? Sign Up!

Login or Register


Privacy & Cookie Policy



       
   Check Todays Deals On Amazon.co.uk
   Check Todays Deals on Ebay.co.uk


Booking.com

Firewood suppliers in braintree
Replacement Stove Glass in braintree
Supporting Local Business

Be Seen - Advertise on Qlocal






UK, Local Online News Community, Forums, Chats, For Sale, Classified, Offers, Vouchers, Events, Motors Sale, Property For Sale Rent, Jobs, Hotels, Taxi, Restaurants, Pubs, Clubs, Pictures, Sports, Charities, Lost Found
braintreebraintree News



Stats: Qlocal over 500,000 page views a month (google analytics)